The Opportunity Trust believes that all students deserve a school that honors who they are and prepares them up to thrive in our rapidly changing world. However, that promise goes unrealized for far too many students and families in St. Louis.
We are committed to supporting bold leaders who are working to transform that reality. The Entrepreneur-in-Residence program is an opportunity for school visionaries to imagine, design, pilot, and launch world-class schools in response to the family and community needs in St. Louis.
About the Program
The Entrepreneur-in-Residence (EIR) program is is a two-year incubator that supports future school founders design and launch a new school in St. Louis. We aim to select one to two entrepreneurs each year. Although primarily driven by the entrepreneurs, the program offers a suite of key supports, including:
Full salary and health benefits provided for up to two years while designing and preparing to launch a new school (will pay current salary up to 125,000 annually).
A stipend to use for professional growth, visiting inspiring schools, and to pilot and build world-class school model concepts.
Regular meetings with a coach to support the process, offer guidance, and identify additional resources and opportunities to drive progress.
Community + Networks
Access and collaboration with fellow EIRs, staff members of The Opportunity Trust, and leading thinkers both locally and across the nation.
While we’re actively seeking diverse profiles of leadership, applicants must demonstrate:
- An unwavering bar for excellence and a track record of results: You are obsessed with exceeding the bar for rigorous and relevant learning and can show results achieved.
- Commitment to equity: You regularly reflect on identity and power and are poised to co-create schools that represent a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Curiosity and self-direction: You are humble and continually seek out broad inspiration. You drive development and are prepared to take the reins of your EIR journey.
- Strong people leadership: You have experience leading diverse, thriving teams and supporting the growth and development of others.
- A promising vision for a new school: While this will evolve through the program, you have an initial school vision that speaks to an authentic community need and represents an engaging, rigorous, relevant learning environment for students.
- Ties to St. Louis: You have a strong knowledge of and long-term commitment to St. Louis.
Learn about the key competencies that entrepreneurs actively grow throughout the program.
Application Process & Key Dates
There are three stages in the application process:
- Initial Application: Submit a resume, results from current role, an initial vision for your school, and reflect on a set of questions to give us a window into who you are and why you are interested in the program.
- Feb 15, 2019: Application due
- Feb 15, 2019: Application due
- Follow-Up Conversations and Exploration: Some applications will move on to follow-up interviews. This may include additional opportunities to get to know each other (e.g. visit your school, join a workshop facilitated by The Opportunity Trust, etc.).
- Mar 1, 2019: Shortlist of applicants notified, follow-up interviews scheduled
- In-Person Final Interview: A small group of finalists will be invited to a day to learn more about the program and engage with key stakeholders, including The Opportunity Trust team and community members.
- Dates for in-person engagement will be determined with final applicants. We aim to make final decisions by April 1, 2019.
Ready to Apply?
Access the application and submit before February 15th, 2019.
Complete the set of questions and attach 1) your resume 2) relevant data or results from your current role, and 3) 3-5 page vision for your future school. Your vision can take any form, but should succinctly communicate:
- The need that you hope your school will meet
- The graduate profile you hope to foster, including specific outcomes you would prioritize
- The student experience to achieve your outcomes
For St. Louis.
From St. Louis
The Opportunity Trust is the result of nearly a year studying what is working in our nation’s most dynamic regions and by engaging with parents and teachers, as well as leaders in schools, communities, and businesses on how we can help to accelerate the pace of change in St. Louis.
We envision a St. Louis where every single person is able to find success in a rapidly changing world and a region that draws people from all backgrounds because of its renewed sense of possibility, growing economic opportunity, and safe, just, and joyful communities.
St. Louis, MO 63108, USA